1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites

Kenya: Flights delayed as workers strike at airport

Rana Taha with AP, Reuters
February 16, 2026

The planned strike followed a labor dispute with authorities over pay increases, benefits and better working conditions. Kenya's main Jomo Kenyatta International Airport is a major transport hub in Africa.

A general view shows people at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport ahead of a strike by Kenya airport union workers
Kenyan flag carrier Kenya Airways urged its customers to check their flight status before heading to the airport [FILE: Sept 10, 2024]Image: Thomas Mukoya/REUTERS

A planned strike by members of Kenya's aviation union caused flight delays and disruptions on Monday at the country's main airport.

The Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, which serves Nairobi, is a major transport hub regionally and internationally, with lots of trade and tourism passing through it.

How has the strike affected air traffic?

Kenyan flag carrier Kenya Airways issued a travel advisory to its customers, urging them to check the status of their flights before proceeding to the airport.

The airline, as well as Tanzania's Precision Air, said air traffic control operation delays were affecting departures and arrivals at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, promising a schedule adjustment.

"Passengers are advised not to proceed to the airport without a confirmed flight status," Kenya Airways said.

The Kenya Airports Authority said a contingency plan was in place to limit disruptions. It added that it was engaging those concerned to resolve the ongoing strike.

What do we know about the workers' strike?

Members of Kenya's aviation union walked out after issuing last week a seven-day strike notice over implementation issues with a collective bargaining agreement between the union and Kenyan authorities.

Striking workers are demanding better working conditions, better pay and better benefits.

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority tried last week to get a court order to block the planned strike.

"This is a complete ​strike action. I have not been served with ​any court ‌order halting the strike," Moss Ndiema, the union's secretary general, ​told the Reuters news agency ⁠by phone.

Edited by: Srinivas Mazumdaru

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW

More stories from DW