1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites

Bondi Beach attack accused faces court for first time

Mark Hallam with AFP, AP
February 16, 2026

A man accused of killing 15 people in a mass shooting at a Jewish festival on Sydney's Bondi Beach has made his first court appearance since leaving hospital. The 24-year-old appeared via video link.

 Flowers and photos are seen in memory of the victims of December 14 Bondi Beach shooting at the Bondi Pavilion in Sydney on January 22, 2026, as part of the national day of mourning.
Australia held a national day of mourning last month following the worst crime designated a terrorist attack in the country's historyImage: Steven Markham/AFP/Getty Images

Naveem A. appeared in Sydney's Downing Center Local Court via video link from the maximum security Goulburn Correctional Center on Monday, his first court appearance since leaving hospital. 

The 24-year-old is charged with committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder and dozens of counts of wounding with intent to kill, as well as planting explosives. 

The defendant and his father allegedly attacked a Jewish festival marking the start of Hanukkah on Sydney's Bondi Beach on December 14. 

It was Australia's most deadly mass shooting in 29 years and designated a terrorist attack.

His 50-year-old father died in a gunbattle with police after the attack and Naveem was wounded. 

The defendant's lawyer said he was still in a 'very onerous condition' and that it was too early to say how he would pleaImage: Bianca De Marchi/AAP/REUTERS

No plea entered in brief court appearance

Defense lawyer Ben Archbold told reporters outside the court that his client was doing as well as could be expected, but that it was too soon to indicate any intention of pleas. 

Monday's brief court appearance focused on extending a gag order that suppresses the identities of victims and survivors of the attack who have chosen not to identify themselves publicly. 

The next court appearance for the defendant is currently scheduled for April 9. 

Police: Suspects were tied to 'Islamic State' group

The attack, allegedly organized by the self-styled "Islamic State" group, claimed the lives of an 87-year-old Holocaust survivor, a couple who tried to confront the attackers and a 10-year-old girl, among others. 

Israeli President Isaac Herzog paid hommage to the victims on a visit to Australia this monthImage: Hollie Adams/REUTERS

It has also prompted difficult questions for security services in Australia, given that the surviving suspect was first flagged by the country's intelligence agency as a teenager in 2019. He later slipped off the radar after being deemed not to pose an imminent threat. 

Police documents released after the attack said the father and son had carried out "firearms training" in a rural area and "meticulously planned" the attack for months. 

The pair also recorded a video in October railing against what they called "Zionists" while sitting in front an "Islamic State" flag and detailing their motivations for the attack.

Israeli President Herzog's visit met with protests in Sydney

02:37

This browser does not support the video element.

Editor's note: DW follows the German press code, which stresses the importance of protecting the privacy of suspected criminals or victims and urges us to refrain from revealing full names in many cases.

Edited by: Srinivas Mazumdaru

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW

More stories from DW