1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites

Sweden: One killed in school sword attack

Natalie Muller AFP and Reuters
Published August 21, 2026last updated August 21, 2026

Police have said they have arrested an individual who stabbed several people, killing one person, with a sword at a high school in central Sweden.

A police officer walking in a cordoned-off area of Fagersta
Police identified the suspected attacker as an 18-year-old manImage: Philip O’Connor/REUTERS

A person armed with a sword has wounded multiple people at a school in Fagersta in central Sweden, authorities said Friday.

Police said one person had been taken into custody and there was no longer any danger to the public.  

After initially saying three people had been wounded in the attack, two of them severely, police later said an additional person had been killed. 

Earlier on Friday, Sweden's healthcare authority said two boys, both aged between 12 and 17, were being treated in hospital.

Police said the suspect was an 18-year-old man, whom they shot during a confrontation and took into custody. 

What else do we know?

Police were called to the Brinellskola, a secondary school in Fagersta, at around 2 p.m. local time (1200 GMT). The school, which has some 450 students aged 16 to 20, had just reopened after the summer holidays.

Public broadcaster SVT reported that ambulances, police cars and a police helicopter were outside the property.

The municipality said other schools and some public buildings in the area had been locked down.

Fagersta, home to some 12,000 people, lies around 170 kilometers (105 miles) northwest of the capital, Stockholm.

Police locked down other schools in the area following the attackImage: Niklas Hagman/TT/picture alliance

Reactions to 'terrible news'

"Our thoughts are with all those affected," Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said in a post on X. "We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively."

Magdalena Andersson, leader of the opposition Social Democrats, lamented the "terrible news."

"When violence takes place at a school, I know it impacts everyone in our country. All of Sweden ⁠stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time," she wrote on X.

Other attacks at educational institutions

Sweden has seen a number of high-profile attacks at educational facilities in recent years.

In February 2025, a 35-year-old man killed 10 people at an adult education center in Orebro.

In another incident, an 18-year-old student fatally stabbed two teachers at a Malmo high school in March 2022.

Don't let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google by clicking here and hit the "star" or "preferred" button so you'll always see our verified news first.

Edited by: Sean Sinico

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW

More stories from DW