1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites

TikTok to pay $400m to settle US children's privacy case

Emmy Sasipornkarn with AFP, Reuters
August 22, 2026

The US Justice Department sued TikTok in 2024 over allegations that it violated children's online privacy laws. The settlement is believed to be one of the largest ever over the issue.

Tiktok app on Apple App Store on an iPhone
Beyond the fine, the Justice Department did not specify any action against TikTok [FILE: March 23, 2026]Image: Rüdiger Wölk/IMAGO

TikTok and its Chinese parent company ByteDance agreed on Friday to pay $400 million (roughly €342 million) to resolve allegations by the US Justice Department that the platform violated children's online privacy laws.

"Under the settlement, TikTok will pay $300 million immediately and an additional $100 million upon entry of an order vacating a prior consent decree entered against TikTok's predecessor, Musical.ly," the department said in a statement.

It's "one of the largest recoveries ever obtained" from a case involving the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), a federal law which safeguards online privacy of minors, the statement added. 

Social media bans: What it means for you

04:25

This browser does not support the video element.

What was TikTok accused of?

The Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission sued TikTok and ByteDance in 2024, alleging that the platform put children's privacy at risk.

The agencies accused TikTok of knowingly allowing children to use the platform and violating federal law that online services directed at children obtain parental consent before collecting their personal data.

The Justice Department said that since the lawsuit was filed, TikTok has "undergone significant changes to its ownership, management, compliance functions and privacy practices" concerning younger users.

TikTok parent company ByteDance sold off a majority stake of its US entity earlier this year in order to avoid a ban by the Trump administration.

TikTok did not immediately comment on the settlement. 

German influencer fights extremism on TikTok

01:59

This browser does not support the video element.

TikTok faces growing global scrutiny

The settlement comes as TikTok, alongside other social media platforms, faces increasing pressure around the world.

In 2024, Brussels launched a probe into TikTok under the Digital Services Act (DSA) — a landmark regulation that the European Union has used to curb harmful practices by Big Tech in recent years.

The video-sharing platform risks a large fine after the EU accused TikTok in July of failing to protect children through account settings that can expose them to risks such as  "unwanted contact, cyberbullying, or predatory behavior."

The United Kingdom also launched a probe into TikTok in July to investigate whether the app is doing enough under UK law to protect children from harmful content. 

Edited by: Rana Taha

Don't let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google, so you'll always see our verified news first.

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW

More stories from DW