1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites
PoliticsAsia

Trump orders to scale back US-South Korea military drills

Akanksha Saxena with AP, Reuters
August 17, 2026

US President Donald Trump said annual military drills with South Korea send an "inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea.

Trump has told Pentagon to reduce US-South Korea military drills [Photo: August 10]
Trump has told Pentagon to reduce US-South Korea military drills [Photo: August 10]Image: Bonnie Cash/Sipa USA/picture alliance

US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday that he ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises with South Korea.

Trump wrote on Truth Social that the annual exercises are not only costly but "send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea, which he said has been "unthreatening and respectful" to the US.

His post comes as the US and South Korea are scheduled to begin one of their two main annual large-scale joint military exercises this week.

South Korea has been a major US ally, with their relations having endured through more than seven decades of political changes.

Trump noted that South Korea declined to help the US in denuclearizing Iran and that he has a "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, 'No thanks!'" Trump wrote.

"Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises!" Trump said.

Annual drills meant to sharpen readiness against North Korean threats

The joint military exercises, called Ulchi Freedom Shield, are scheduled to run from August 17 to 27.

The drills involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers, the South Korean military told the Associated Press.

The exercises were expected to include operations to counter drones, disrupt GPS signals and defend against cyberattacks to adapt to North Korea’s evolving capabilities.

South Korea proposes talks to officially end war with North

14:19

This browser does not support the video element.

North Korea has also been aiding Russia in its war against Ukraine by providing troops.

North Korea carries out weapons test in protest to drills

Trump's announcement comes days after North Korea reportedly fired ballistic missiles toward the sea.

Pyongyang last week threatened stern steps against the US and South Korea and called the summertime drills a "war rehearsal."

North Korea routinely denounces joint military exercises between the US and South Korea as dress rehearsals for an invasion.

But it's not clear what Trump's announcement will look like since US-South Korea joint military drills were scheduled to begin on Monday.

Edited by: Roshni Majumdar 

If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google, so you'll always see our verified news first. 

Skip next section Explore more
Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW

More stories from DW