1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites
PoliticsUganda

Uganda's election ends with another term for Museveni

Louis Oelofse with AP, AFP, Reuters
January 17, 2026

Yoweri Museveni has been declared the winner of the presidential election, extending his rule beyond four decades. Meanwhile, the opposition candidate has reportedly gone into hiding.

Uganda's incumbent president and National Resistance Movement (NRM) presidential candidate Yoweri Museveni waves at supporters as he leaves after casting his ballot in Rwakitura on January 15, 2026
Museveni extending his time in office by another five years.Image: AFP

Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni has secured a seventh term in office.

The Electoral Commission announced he won with more than 71.65% of the vote. His main challenger,  best known as Bobi Wine, received 24.72%.

Earlier Wine said he had escaped a raid by security forces on his home and was in hiding in the country.

"Last night was very difficult at our home ... The military and the police ‌raided us. They ⁠switched off power and cut off some of our CCTV cameras," Wine wrote on social media.

Police denied the incident, but added it was there was "controlled access" for others trying to go into Wine's property, to prevent people from using the premises to incite violence.

Museveni won a seventh term

At age 81, Museveni extended his 40-year rule following an election marked by reports of at least 10 deaths and allegations of intimidation against the opposition and civil society.

He first came to power in 1986 as a guerrilla leader. Since then, he has consolidated control over the state and security forces, crushing any challengers.

Over the years, he has removed constitutional term and age limits, clearing the way for his continued leadership. Some potential rivals have been jailed or sidelined. Museveni has not indicated when he plans to step down.

Uganda: What's really at stake for Museveni's legacy

05:03

This browser does not support the video element.

Delays and disruptions at polling stations

The opposition's Wine, whose real name is Kyagulanyi Ssentamu has condemned what he described as an unfair electoral process, marred by an internet shutdown, military deployments and the alleged abductions of his polling agents.

The other major opposition figure, Kizza Besigye, who ran four times against Museveni, was abducted in Kenya in 2024 and brought back to a military court in Uganda for a treason trial that is ongoing.

Doubt, unrest overshadow Uganda vote counting

01:12

This browser does not support the video element.

Electoral officials are also under scrutiny after biometric voter identification machines failed on Thursday, delaying voting in urban opposition strongholds such as Kampala.

With the machines down, polling staff switched to manual voter registers, a setback for pro-democracy activists who had pushed for biometrics to prevent rigging. The failures are expected to feature prominently in any legal challenges to the results.

African election observers reported no evidence of ballot stuffing but condemned "intimidation, arrests and abductions" targeting the opposition and civil society.

This "instilled fear and eroded public trust in the electoral process", former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan, representing election observers from the African Union, said. 

Edited by: Roshni Majumdar

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW

More stories from DW