1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites

US: 5 killed after New York-bound tourist bus crash

Zac Crellin with AP, AFP, Reuters
August 22, 2025

The bus rolled over while returning from Niagara Falls. Many of the passengers were Indian, Chinese and Filipino, with police saying some were thrown from the bus.

Rescue teams on the scene of the I-90 highway in New York state
The bus was carrying more than 50 peopleImage: Libby March/Buffalo News/AP Photo/picture alliance

Five people were killed after a tour bus rolled over and crashed in New York state on Friday, police said.

"Tragically, multiple people were ejected from the bus, with five people deceased at the scene," New York State Police troop commander Andre Ray told reporters.

Describing the incident as "an absolute tragedy," Ray said the passengers on board ranged from one to 74 years old.

Earlier, police spokesperson James O'Callaghan had said that most of the 52 passengers were Indian, Chinese and Filipino. 

What do we know about the bus crash?

A total of 54 people were on board the bus, which was returning from Niagara Falls, a major tourist attraction on the US-Canada border.

The tour bus crashed on the Interstate-90 highway near Pembroke, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) west of Buffalo.

The bus flipped over and ended up in the highway shoulderImage: Libby March/Buffalo News/AP Photo/picture alliance

Police commander Ray said that the cause of the crash was still under investigation.

But "mechanical failure as well as operator impairment have been ruled out," he said.

The police commander explained that initial investigations indicated that the driver "became distracted, lost control, and over-corrected."

"The driver has been cooperative, and with the investigation still underway, no charges have been filed at this point," Ray said.

He added that initial reports that a child were among the dead had turned out to be "false."

At least six medevac helicopters from different services were dispatched to the site of the crash.

Authorities closed the highway in both directions after the crash, leading to huge traffic delays.

State leaders offer condolences

New York Governor Kathy Hochul tweeted she was briefed on the "tragic tour bus accident" and that her office was working with police and local officials.

"Our hearts are with their loved ones during this difficult time," Hochul said in a later tweet after the death toll had been confirmed.

Chuck Schumer, said the senior US senator from New York, also offered his condolences to the victims.

"I’m heartbroken for all those we’ve lost and all those injured and praying for their families," he said, as he thanked the emergency responders at the scene.

Edited by: Karl Sexton

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW