1. Skip to content
  2. Skip to main menu
  3. Skip to more DW sites
PoliticsVenezuela

Venezuela agrees to US repatriation flights after row

Shakeel Sobhan with AP, AFP, Reuters
March 23, 2025

The latest deal follows a dispute over the US deporting more than 200 Venezuelans to a high-security prison in El Salvador, which Caracas condemned as a "kidnapping."

Venezuelans deported from the US
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro had suspended the flights on March 8Image: Jesus Vargas/Getty Images

Venezuela has agreed with the US to resume repatriation flights for deported Venezuelan nationals, its officials announced on Saturday.

Jorge Rodriguez, Venezuela's National Assembly President, confirmed the first flight would depart on Sunday. He said the goal was to "ensure the return of our countrymen with the protection of their human rights."

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro had suspended the flights on March 8 after US President Donald Trump accused Venezuela of failing to meet its commitments.

In response, Caracas refused to accept further flights. The situation escalated when the US government moved against US energy giant Chevron, suspending its license to export Venezuelan oil.

Maduro targets El Salvador president

Caracas and Washington have clashed over the US deporting over 200 Venezuelans to a high-security prison in El Salvador, with Venezuela slamming the move as "kidnapping."

Washington claims the deportees belong to the Tren de Aragua gang — designated a foreign terrorist organization by the US State Department. Venezuela denies this claim

In a televised speech, Maduro also addressed Nayib Bukele, the president of El Salvador, telling him "you're responsible."

"You have to guarantee their health and sooner rather than later, you have to free them and hand them over," Maduro told Bukele.

Maduro maintained that the migrants hadn't committed crimes in the US or El Salvador.

Relatives say deportees 'deceived'

Families of the deportees protested in Venezuela, accusing the US of tricking the migrants into believing they were returning home after days or weeks in detention.

Venezuelans fear deportation after Trump changes TPS rule

02:36

This browser does not support the video element.

"They were deceived," Gladys Coromoto Rojas, grandmother of deportee Kenlyn Rodriguez, told news agency AFP at a street protest in the Venezuelan city of Barquisimeto.

Similarly, the family of Maikel Rojas Olivera said he had informed them that he was coming home to Venezuela on Saturday, only to be shipped to El Salvador.

A federal US judge temporarily blocked further deportations, but some flights had already departed. 

More than seven million Venezuelans have left their home country following an economic collapse in the past decade, including opponents of the Maduro government.

Trump officials defend use of war powers

Trump administration officials on Sunday defended the use of extraordinary war powers to force through the deportations.

US Attorney General Pam Bondi said the Trump administration's decision to deport 137 Venezuelan migrants last weekend to El Salvador was justified they posed a safety risk.

"It's modern-day warfare, and we are going to continue to fight that and protect American citizens every single step of the way," Bondi told the broadcaster Fox.

White House National Security Advisor Mike Waltz told the media outlet CBS that Tren de Aragua was operating as a proxy of the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

"The alien sedition act fully applies because we have also determined that this group is acting as a proxy of the Maduro regime," Waltz said. "Maduro is deliberately emptying his prisons in a proxy manner to influence an attack on the United States."

Edited by: Darko Janjevic and Louis Oelofse

Skip next section DW's Top Story

DW's Top Story

Skip next section More stories from DW